Today we will:
- Talk about news
- Talk about your quotes and questions you have for assignment 1 (drafts due Thursday)
- Give out interview partners
- Talk about profiles (cub reporter reading)
- Talk about interviewing
- RPC 12-15 –words matter
WORDS Matter!! Choose your words carefully. Cut repetitive phrasing and get the name of the dog. Figure out what details matter and use them.
A profile is a portrait of a person in words. Profiles dig beneath the surface to explain what motivates and drives people. They must have an angle, a theme or thread that is introduced in the lead and pulls through the whole story.
They are similar to obituaries
Do research on your person’s home country. Find out if Buffalo has a large population of people from that country. Restaurants etc.
Write an email to your subject by the end of the week.
- Read “The Little Sister” and think about how she got the story, did the interviews
- Draft 1 due Thursday
- Newscheck group 2 presentation